Re: [OM] Ultimate Ballhead

Subject: Re: [OM] Ultimate Ballhead
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 20:30:42 -0800
You are mistaken. A lifetime guarantee is just that. For example, my Snap-on tools carry this guarantee because they're built to take it. Same same for Zippo lighters. I've used both these agreements in the past to my satisfaction and plan to again. (Zippos wear out after six or seven years. I've only had one Snap-on screwdriver fail, and that was easily fixed by the local salesman in his truck.) Another example: my Gitzo gear has a lifetime guarantee, though I haven't put that to the test as yet.

Anyway, I like it that way and I'm willing to pay extra for it. I'm suspicious of any product a company will not stand behind up front.

Tris

Actually the 2 year warranty is fine, I would not worry about it. No warranty
guarantees that an item will not wear out, it just 'warrants' that no
manufacturing (and sometimes materials) defects will show up in that time
period. Generally if an item does not show a defect within the first two years,
you will have no problem with it. Lifetime warranties are just a marketing
gimmick.