Re: [OM] Ultimate Ballhead

Subject: Re: [OM] Ultimate Ballhead
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 21:03:30 -0800

I understand what you say but it doesn't change anything. Besides, few companies do so guarantee their products and for good reason: those products simply won't stand up.

Sears is an interesting case. Everything that store sells is covered by Sears over and above whatever warranty/guarantee is offered by the maker of the product. I've taken Hoover vacuum cleaners back to Sears because they broke--obvious why, too: they're made out of plastic!

Lifetime guarantees are rare. I take advantage of them when I can.

Whether or not this guy's ballhead is well made or know is unknown. Looks to be and maybe it is. Take a flyer.

Tris

Lifetime Guarantees are easy for companies like Snap
On, Sears, Gitzo to do because they have the money to
do it and it improves their image dramatically. From
what it looks like this is just one guy or a small
company doing this and therefore cannot afford a
"Lifetime Warranty" cause they might not even know how
long they are going to be in the business. Does that
mean their products are any less quality than
companies? Probably not (although there are glaring
exceptions). From the first post on this subject it
seems these tripod heads are made by a VERY small
outfit. Any outright defects should appear in two
years unless you keep it in a box. A lifetime warranty
would be very expensive if you insisted, maybe
doubling or tripling (or more) the price due to
economy of scale. Just my .02...

Mark Lloyd