RE: [OM] Winder and MD survery

Subject: RE: [OM] Winder and MD survery
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 22:17:21 -0700

>>After the shock with the Winder 2, I wish to conduct a small survery of
Winder
>> and MD usage on the list. Perhaps it will give us many insights.

>> 1. Who owns a Winder or MD?

I own two winder 2's one winder 1 one MD-1 and one MD-2. I also have relay
cords, remote actuators and remote power sources.

>> 2. How often is it used?

I use a drive about half the time.

>> 3. What is it used for?

The drives are good for use with a shoulder stock when you don't want to
remove your eye from the view finder. With moving animals or people the
motor drive will get you shots that would be pure timing luck without it.
When doing weddings and other social events the combination of OM-2N, bounce
grip 2, T32 flash, winder, and grip strap has been very valuable to me. I've
spent hours with that combination hanging from my hand and ready to shoot.
Sometimes I position a camera in a hidden location and actuate the winder
remotely.  The motor drives and winders add noise and weight and are not
always appropriate. When vibration is serious enough that you need mirror
lock-up, the motor drives and winders should not be used. I prefer to use
the bare camera when noise is a factor or when shooting scenics or doing
macro work.

>> 4. Is it stuck on an OM body permanently?

I have one OM2N that always has a winder or motor drive installed. On other
cameras I install the drives when I want to use one.