Re: [OM] It is Here

Subject: Re: [OM] It is Here
From: Pawel Golik <pgolik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 13:20:18 -0500
On Monday 11 February 2002 12:55 pm, Barry B. Bean wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:11:28 -0800, Winsor Crosby wrote:
> >The end of 35mm just arrived:
> > http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20000912S0048
>
> When they can package thta monster in a OM/FM/EOS/etc sized package
> and sell the consumer version for <$200 and the Pro version for
> <$2500, I'll be a believer.

And don't forget storage. I can buy enough film for >1000 shots for around
$100, and if I'm out of film on a trip I can go to any grocery strore and get
some consumer Kodak. High resolution digital files take lots of megabytes,
and digital photo media is expensive and takes more space than 35mm at
comparable quality (I'm not talking about highly compressed jpegs obviously).
So unless you carry a serious laptop computer (more $$ and weight), digital
is still not practical for photographic trips. When they make digital media
that can take gigabytes of data in a package the size of a 35mm cannister,
then high resolution digital cameras may be useful. Not now. My OM is still
more practical than any high-end digital camera on the maket.
        Pawel

--
Pawel Golik
http://www.gen.emory.edu/cmm/people/staff/pgolik.html