RE: [OM] KEH repairs/lens cleaning

Subject: RE: [OM] KEH repairs/lens cleaning
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 15:08:48 -0700
> If it's black dirt, I'd just leave it Should make hardly any image
> difference.

 I'm always confused by this sort of advice -- I've seen lenses for sale
that say "dirt on lens, but doesn't affect the image", or even lenses with
chips being described here as usable.

 How can this be? If something's right on the surface of the lens presumably
it's not going to be in focus, so I get the basic idea -- but if so, why
does anyone bother cleaning lenses? How dirty can a lens get before the
change is visible? (well, I guess this depends on how large you want to make
the final image, film quality, etc, etc, but in general?)

 -- dan