Re: [OM] Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 20:45:42 +0000
At 01:16 2/12/02, Charlie Loeven wrote:
===(a)  See my tutorial about this if you haven't already done so and make
use
of what's applicable to your situation:
   http://johnlind.tripod.com/wedding/====

I did that thank you.  Nice site.

Thank you!

Now about that 2 flash set up.
How did you accomplish it?

The bracket underneath it all is a Newton that allows the camera to rotate "inside" the bracket. Has a left hand grip ergonomically tilted with a cable release built into the grip. I built a "dual flash" bar to mount on the top of the bracket using a short piece of aluminum angle stock. Mounted two "T20 TTL Connectors" to the angle stock. Mounted that sub-assembly to the top of the Newton bracket. A TTL cord (0.6m TTL cord or 0.6m TTL shoe cord) connects to one of the two T-32's (its TTL socket on the side of the flash). A short TTL cord (0.3m TTL cord) connects the two T20 TTL Connectors together using the sockets on the back of them. You can switch the connections around so long as one cable somehow connects the two flash units together and another somehow connects one of the flash units to the camera body.

Any reason you have the diffusers on the heads?

Just put them on for photograph the rig :-)
Didn't use them when shooting the wedding.

I could sure use the extra power sometimes.

I discovered the need for flash power very quickly when I "practiced" as an apprentice to a local pro for a couple of months. It's significantly more than normally needed indoors at home (distances and spaces are smaller).

-- John