[OM] eSIF on a Macintosh

Subject: [OM] eSIF on a Macintosh
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 22:30:49 -0500
This is a report from the field.  A prior poster had asked how well the eSIF CD
worked on Macintosh, and I promised to report my experiences.

For the record, I have a 266-MHz beige-box Power Macintosh G3 running MacOS 9.1.

The straight eSIF CD didn't work correctly on my Mac.  All the files were
present and readable, but the names were mangled down to the PC 8.3 format,
which didn't match the URLs in the various webpages, causing all links to be
broken.  Because the eSIF CD has 600 MBytes of data (twice what was on the eSIF
website), manually fixing the links would be a lot of work.

However, at Hans' suggestion, I used Joliet Volume, a Mac extension, that
allows the Mac to see the filenames correctly.   This is available from
<http://www.tempel.org/joliet/> for US $13.00.

It worked perfectly, fixing the broken links and allowing me to copy the
corrected CD image to my hard disk.  Using a utility, DiskTop, I gave
"contents.htm" the correct creator and file type codes for Netscape (MOSS,
TEXT), so I could launch by double-clicking on contents.htm, and put an alias
in the Menu.   Now, I can get into eSIF directly, and at hard-disk (versus CD)
speeds.  Very nice, and definitely worth the 23+13= $36 this setup cost me.

Joe Gwinn