Re: [OM] Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 00:10:24 +0000
At 02:22 2/12/02, Wayne Culberson wrote:
I have another wedding to attend on March 2nd, and have been thinking of
building a 'compromise' flash combo.
[description snipped out]

You're correct with the math: GN approx. 28 (meters, ISO 100). Right at the F280 flash power and not much under a T-32's.

I used something similar to test what using a pair of T-32's would do: one in a BG-2 and the other in the hot shoe shooting mostly horizontals. There were some shadows, but they were filled by the other flash and not nearly as harsh as would result from a single flash. The difference is both were still above the lens, so the shadows were down slightly. Examples:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/wedding/planning04.jpg
  [left side of their heads]
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/wedding/planning05.jpg
  [left of her neck and to the right of her left hand]
  [this one is a vertical . . . it's sorta obvious]
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/wedding/planning12.jpg
  [to the right of the groom's head]
  [done with the 645 similarly set up with left hand grip]

Without a winder, think about hot shoe with one and the other on top of a left hand grip. Right hand works focus, shutter release and wind lever.

With a Winder or Motor Drive, keep the one in the hot shoe, but move grip to right with electrical button cabled to winder for shutter release; left hand takes care of focusing.

        (Why can't life be simpler, just use the Epic? and not look stupid.)
Wayne

I *never* worry about looking "stupid."
I worry about the photograph(s) that will result instead!  :-)

-- John