Re: [OM] KEH repairs/lens cleaning

Subject: Re: [OM] KEH repairs/lens cleaning
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 21:44:25 -0800
 >A friend/colleague worked briefly at Lick Observtory in northern CA, where
a generation or so back one or their peons went crazy, took a .45 into
the prime focus cage and started shooting at the main mirror. Not only
didn't the mirror crack (foot-thick annealed glass is pretty close to armor
plate) but after they painted the little holes black some people claimed
the seeing had actually improved slightly.

Considering that you don't see front mirror of a cat lens in the in-focus
section, I'm not surprised that 100f area would be around the threshhold.
Planar waveforms are amazingly robust.

paul

This implies that we should all be buying bargain lenses with scratched
front elements and blacking the scratches. Hmmmm.
AndrewF

Or even improving our perfect lenses by painting black spots on them!
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?