Re: [OM] Ultimate Ballhead

Subject: Re: [OM] Ultimate Ballhead
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:55:42 -0800

OM CONTENT (almost)
To the subject of ballheads, I've never had one, always used the awkward
pan head that came on the tripods. This ultimate one is a 'little' out
of my price range. Any suggestions on what's the cheapest 'good' one, to
be used with 35mm only [read small light OM, no winder :-) ], for macro
work in the field. I'd like to start watching eb*y, or find a member who
wants to get rid of one.
Wayne

Just a thought--I'm no expert on macro work.

I think anyone could get by with most anything decent (read: steady) for level shoots. However, macro "in the field" more or less implies, at some juncture, something other than "level" work, and I doubt the wisdom of buying into a cheap system with either a tripod or ballhead in mind. I think you would want to look around, do some research, talk to photographers who actually do this work a lot for themselves. My guess is soon enough you'll find yourself right back at the high end of the gear equation--that's certainly where my queries and my research brought me.

Sorry to be the messenger with bad news, and I hope I'm mistaken.

If you stick solely to a very light load (your OM-1 with 50mm macro, say) I think a super lightweight ballhead might be enough no matter the angle you position your gear in. Gitzo happens to sell a honey. I forget the nomenclature but it should be easy to run down. Check B&H for initial reference, as they used to sell this unit. Their prices on Gitzo stuff are high, though. You can probably do better elsewhere. I did.

Tris