[OM] Shooting sports, after dark. Pushing and pulling film

Subject: [OM] Shooting sports, after dark. Pushing and pulling film
From: "Jerry Smith" <proudtexan63@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:21:50 -0600
  Hello everyone,

Well my son made his freshman baseball team. It's now time to start taking more pictures, on many crappy lit fields. I've got my OM 4 loaded with Tmax 3200, my OM2n with Superia 800, and my OM1n with Royal Gold 100 for the rare day games. I've read on the list about pushing and pulling the film to try and get some better speed and exposure. Is the Tmax @ 3200 an acceptable film with grain at that speed? (3200) I want to say I've read yall say to pull it down to 1600. Wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose of going with the 3200 speed to start with? With it on 3200, using either a 200mm f4, or my 300mm f4.5, I can only get about 60 to 30th a second on auto respectively. (This was the worst field we had been on.) I've also read about Superia being easily pushed, how would I do pushing it to 1600? If I want to freeze the action, I am looking for over 125th a second? I don't mind the blur most of the time as I like showing the action. So I could use 30 to 60 for that? I haven't shot B/W for a long time, so this is new again. And I've heard good things about Superia so I wanted to try it. I would appreciate all your help with this, so for the length.

Thanks, Smitty

:-)