Re: [OM] 8000dpi

Subject: Re: [OM] 8000dpi
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:54:16 -0800
on 2/11/02 3:43 PM, John A. Lind at jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> At 04:07 2/12/02, you wrote:
>> "From what I was able to determine, 8000 dpi is centered at about the limit
>> of film information content in pixels.  Some films have a little more and
>> other films have a little less. "
>>
>> But a drum scanner can extract the same information out of a much bigger
>> negative, most well in excess of 8x10.
>>
>> Bill Pearce
>
> I have not used drum scanning as it is too expensive; its cost cannot be
> justified for what I'm doing.  If I interpreted what you have stated
> correctly, and if I understand drum scanning properly, you're right.
>
> As I understand it, an 8000 dpi drum scanner will produce just that,
> 8000dpi from whatever is put on the drum if it will fit on the drum.  From
> one big enough for 8x10 sheet film, that works out to a whopping 64,000 by
> 80,000 pixel digital image!  That's a "make it Super Size" digital
> file!  Hmmmm, need an ultra high definition wall mural?  Maybe an 8x10 view
> camera is just the thing for it!
>
> -- John

The other thing that is done with drum scanning is that multiple negatives
can be put on the drum and scanned, and the software (I think) lets you
target a certain area of the drum as a specific file. So you could mount up
a dozen strips of 6 images of 35mm film and scan them and get 72 files, each
scanned at 8000dpi. This makes the economics of it somewhat better...
although the storage needed is not much different.
--

Jim Brokaw