[OM] Re: 8000dpi

Subject: [OM] Re: 8000dpi
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:33:33 -0600
"But I don't think it can increase the resolution of the subject.  So then
you wonder how much resolution is enough.
Winsor Crosby"

No, and neither can Genuine Fractles, despite what some people think. The
required resolution depends some on the intended means of reproduction, and
a whole lot on the end product. I imagine an 8000dpi scan of an 8x10 film
would look phenominal in an art book, but truth is, even in an art book, the
printer is probably using a screen of somewhere around 200 lines.

Where it can really matter is if you shoot a 35 chrome for a catalog, and
the client then decides that it should go to 20x24 for a display duratrans,
and then a 40x60 for a trade show booth. There's where it really pays off!

Bill Pearce