Re: [OM] Bringing back the eSIF: Theory and Practice

Subject: Re: [OM] Bringing back the eSIF: Theory and Practice
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 18:13:31 -0800 (PST)
--- Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Our downstream ISP is now limiting the outbound traffic of our
> server farm to approx. 10 KBytes/sec.

80kbps?  I'd be SCREAMING about that!  You're probably paying
for port speeds in 1.5mbps increments.  Insist on getting it.
However, 80kbps probably is based on a 9GB per month
consumption.  I know of an ISP you can mirror your site on...

> Well, here are some options, in rough order of decreasing
> preference from my point of view:

I'd like to persue the ZIP file scenario, actually.  This would
encourage "download once, use many".  PDFs are known bandwidth
hogs.

> 1. We encourage the whiners on the List and elsewhere (you
> *know* who you are) to suck it up and buy the damn CD -- after
> all, it's only $23.00 U.S. including shipping...

I haven't gotten it myself and only accessed the esif maybe 30
or 40 times... ahem... but where else can you get this kind of
COMPLETE information and not pay for it?  I picked up a
Shipman's for a couple of bucks which I planned on selling to
some unsuspecting list member for $50, but it's handyness takes
care of most of what I needed to look up.  I guess I've been
around the list long enough to know that I don't even have to
e-sif research but ask the question here and get 30 responses in
five minutes.  I also picked up Helberg's "The Olympus Guide"
which has even more useful information.

BTW, did you know that the 1000/11 is 662mm in length unextended
and WITHOUT the lens hood extended?

AG-Schnozz