Re: [OM] 3Ti - fill flash

Subject: Re: [OM] 3Ti - fill flash
From: Wayne Shumaker <shumaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 17:33:09 -0500
At 02:11 PM 2/13/2002 -0500, Paul wrote:
><snip>
>One caveat... if the OM-3Ti's shutter speed is set very slow, you could get
>overexposure from ambient light. It will leave the shutter open for whatever
>duration you have set it to, unlike the OM-4Ti which closes the shutter at
>the same time it shuts off the flash.

That's what the exposure compensation dial can be used for. You can get
more control over fill flash with the 3T than with the 4T. With the 4T
you always have to adjust the aperture for 1/30 speed to get 1 stop
fill flash. With the 3T you can set any speed you want up to 1/60, and
you can adjust the exposure compensation dial for the flash.

On the 4T, normal OTF auto exposure, the meter starts metering as soon
as the first curtain starts to move, integrating the light until some
threshold, then releases the 2nd curtain. With flash, the shutter is
locked at 1/60, the flash fires and the OTF metering quenches the flash
after integrating the light.?? The rate of integration would be fast
for the flash, while slow for low light. I'm wondering if the camera
meters differently when it knows there is flash? I have tried firing
the flash manually (flash on self-auto) while the 4T shutter was open.
I thought it would then receive enough light to close the shutter.
However, the camera acted as if the flash never fired, even after
multiple fires the shutter did not trip. I will have to try that
experiment again.

Wayne