Re: [OM] Ambient and Flash Ratio Tutorial

Subject: Re: [OM] Ambient and Flash Ratio Tutorial
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:18:23 -0800 (PST)
adi wrote:
> Can you comment on my current working method? Which was
> developed
> somewhat instinctively and so not so precise.

<lots snipped>

Adi,

You have developed a working method and configuration through
experience, but maybe not through logic.  You might want to
revisit your setup and apply the logic of the five variables to
your photography.

By using this method, I know that one requirement I have for
most wedding ceremonies is that I shoot them with ISO 400 film.
Same thing with standard event work.  However, reception halls
might force you to go to ISO 800 film.  Outdoor events can stand
ISO 160.  You are guessing the needed ISO unless you go through
some form of logic process as illustrated in my Tutorial.

Every year I shoot a particular event where I know I have to use
flash-subject distances of 60-80 feet.  This flash-subject
distance is the first variable I contend with.  Then I look at
my available shutter speeds--which I limit to 1/60.  Since my
maximum flash output is a known quantity I now have three of my
five variables taken care of.  My fourth variable is that I
don't own any lens faster than F2.8 and I prefer to use F4 to
give myself a little fudge factor in DOF.  OK, four out of five.
 I run the numbers and determine that ISO 400 will just fit.  I
tried ONE TIME to shoot the event with ISO 160.  Results were
very substandard.

When shooting with the Leica, you are not limited by 1/60, but
you might self-impose a shutter speed of 1/15--just because you
can.  This allows you to use smaller apertures for DOF reasons.

Of your five variables, which ones do you determine first? This
decision MUST be answered before you continue on. Otherwise you
will be chasing settings without knowing why.

AG