[OM] Re: last word on OM-3Ti

Subject: [OM] Re: last word on OM-3Ti
From: Stephen Troy <sctroy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 08:40:15 -0500
>From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>An OM-1 and normal auto flash do anything an OM-3Ti can do except spot
>metering. And it has mirror lock up
>A 4Ti does anything a 3Ti can do except ambient light balance. And it
>has mirror/aperture pre-fire.

Those are two large "excepts" in my book.  That's the great thing about
having a choice of camera bodies - we all get to choose which one fits our
needs.  For me, it's the OM-3Ti.  I've taken exactly two auto exposure
shots in my life, so I really don't need auto mode.  The type of shooting I
do (railroad photography) makes mirror lockup unnecessary.  And the 3Ti has
proven to be ultra-reliable.  I've had four or five 4(T)'s severly jam in
the past few years, two of them while loading film!  Those repair bills add
up over time.  I have yet to have a 3Ti fail in any way.  I can run 100
rolls of film though a camera in a busy week.  I need reliability and am
willing to pay for it.  Between my brother and I, we have over 20 OM
bodies.  The 3Ti's are the only ones we use on a day-in, day-out basis -
and we can choose from anything except a 2S.

The OM-1 is also great but I live by the spot meter, so the OM-1 stays
permanently attached to the Polaroid back.

I believe in choosing the equipment that best suits my needs.  That means
3Ti's over 4(Ti)'s and MD2's over winders.  To me, cost is secondary in
importance.  It's OK that others have a different view and different camera
equipment is more to their liking and/or budget.  I enjoy reading their
reasons on this list.  It's what makes the list so interesting.

Steve Troy

ps - really want to get me going?  Tell me why I also spent too much money
on my Edwards trombones when other brands do the job "just as well for less
money."