Re: [OM] Photoshop?

Subject: Re: [OM] Photoshop?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 08:10:38 -0700
At 07:50 AM 15/02/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello Everyone,
>
>    I have a quick question.  I might be getting a copy of Corel Draw 10
> Graphics Suite (over 13 apps), but if this doesn't end up happening...what
> program should I get?  I wouldn't have a lot of money, and Photoshop seems to
> be the standard.  Is their anything else, or should I just suck it up and buy
> Photoshop?

Josh:

Photoshop's expensive (around a grand Canadian) if all you're using it for is a
"hobby" application.  Paint Shop Pro does many of the things Photoshop does
(and some things it doesn't), and is priced better for the hobbyist market
(around $150.00 CDN).  If you want *free* image-editing software, you could
always try The GIMP, available in a Windows version here:

   http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32//

Many people really like The GIMP.

I own Photoshop, but that's because my business demands it.  It's a good
program, but probably over-muscular for many people's needs.

I *don't* recommend stealing it (software piracy).  For one thing, more and
more individuals are being tracked down by the large software concerns and are
having their butts sued off.  Remember, they've got way more lawyers than you
do, and they're much more motivated.  For another thing, you're basically
telling people who spent a lot of their precious time and money to develop the
program that they don't deserve to receive compensation for it.  If you truly
believe that, don't use it.  (Logical, isn't it?)

Garth