Re: [OM] keep software piracy off the list

Subject: Re: [OM] keep software piracy off the list
From: Nick Taylor <ntaylor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 07:26:20 -0800
I'm not sure that posting a link to pirated software is all bad, nor
that it always cheats the manufacturer.  As a Corel Draw user I had
always wanted to try Photoshop, but didn't want to spend US$600 to
give it a try ... and then I ran across a link similar to the one
recently posted here ... downloaded a pirated copy of Photoshop 5,
used it for a month, decided that it was the way to go.  As a result
I ordered PS6 directly from Adobe and later also bought Illustrator
and PageMaker from them.

Many pirated copies of software end up in the hands of student who
otherwise would not be able to afford the purchase ... and they
become dedicated users who as adults become customers.  Many
software houses have established their customer base by providing
free of almost free copies of their products ... Micro$oft,
Netscape, etc.

My 2¢ worth.

  -Nick T.