Re: [[OM] Semi-OT: getting into MF _super_ cheap?]

Subject: Re: [[OM] Semi-OT: getting into MF _super_ cheap?]
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 08:08:46 -0800
When I was in the Army a young guy who had been making disparaging remarks about 35mm film while he was printing his 120 pics from his Yashica inadvertently insulted the German civilian manager of the EM Club photolab. The German guy issued a challenge to the PFC to print his best shots and he would do the same from his Leica and compare. Needless to say the German guy won by a wide margin. Of course it probably would have been less of a wipe out if the Yashica user had been as skilled a photographer.

There is no magic to a format. Good equipment intelligently used will beat thoughtlessness almost every time. Medium format, at best, compared to 35mm is heavy, clumsy and expensive. It makes no sense to me at all to buy really cheap equipment that is going to give all the disadvantages and none of the advantages of the format. If you are on this list because you are an Olympus user, working with what you have is going to give you much more satisfaction in the long run.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?