Re: [OM] keep software piracy off the list

Subject: Re: [OM] keep software piracy off the list
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 10:57:32 -0700
At 07:26 AM 15/02/2002 -0800, Nick Taylor wrote:
>I'm not sure that posting a link to pirated software is all bad, nor
>that it always cheats the manufacturer.  ...

[snip]

>Many pirated copies of software end up in the hands of student who
>otherwise would not be able to afford the purchase ... and they
>become dedicated users who as adults become customers.

The flip side of this is well-stated in an on-line article by a programmer
working for Ambrosia Software (makers of a number of Mac products).  His take
on piracy, and the potentially staggeringly high amounts of it going on, can be
found here:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/ubb/newsdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=14&article=000052

The above URL may "wrap" in your e-mail client.  If so, you'll have to
cut-'n-paste the URL into your browser.

Garth