Re: [OM] Other Photo Programs [Was OT Software Piracy

Subject: Re: [OM] Other Photo Programs [Was OT Software Piracy
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 09:46:27 +1300
Hi,

I've posted this before, but it is worth repeating for the benefit in
particular of
people who can't afford an expensive imaging program.

This is Embellish, just 2MB, left on the net free by its writers who decided
they couldn't make a commercial go of it. It is deceptively capable, and
takes a little while to get to know. It is also fast and has very little
computer
overhead.

http://www.dadaware.com

Additionally, as I understand it from what Wayne Fulton has written in his
scantips site, a major omission from the full install of Photoshop when you
get lesser versions, is that the histogram function is absent from the latter.
Wayne explains how to use this to lighten up areas of shadow that are
darker than you want / intended. You can clip out *segments* ( I don't know
that this is the correct simile) of colour to achieve the palette you want in
the
image; in this case, black. The same can be done with highlights - clip out
white.

Brian