Re: [OM] What to do in Sydney

Subject: Re: [OM] What to do in Sydney
From: "Roger Wesson" <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 17:45:15 -0000
I'd recommend taking the ferry to Manly - an excellent way to see the
harbour.  It's much cheaper than harbour tours, which are just a way to take
money out of tourists' pockets.  Also possible to walk from Manly to Spit
Point - I haven't done this but lots of people have said it's a brilliant
walk.  Walking from Benelong Point and the Opera House around through the
Royal Botanical Gardens to Macquarie Point is really nice.  Observatory Hill
is a fairly quiet spot with a very good view that's worth finding.  I
STRONGLY recommend going up the Sydney Tower, the tallest building and the
city and one with a wonderful view, especially at night.  A visit to the top
of one of the Bridge towers is also great for views, and very cheap.

For eating, there's a few restaurants virtually underneath the Bridge, with
superb views across Circular Quay to the Opera House, where you can eat very
well without breaking the bank (say AU$30 per head, which I think is quite
expensive by local standards but almost ridiculously cheap when compared to
similar locations in European cities).  Magnificent place to eat a meal.

If by any chance you didn't want to spend all your time in the city, the
Blue Mountains make a great day tour.  Trains run from Central Station to
Katoomba in about two hours, from where you can spend a few hours walking
beautiful trails on the edge of the wilderness.

Photo-wise, I can't think of much you'd need a 300mm lens for, but 21mm
could definitely find use.  I see I've used the word 'view' some four times
so far - the wider your lens the more of them you'll be able to fit in!

Sydney is a truly magnificent city (even Melbourne residents must think
so) - you'll have no trouble burning many rolls of film there.

Roger