Re: [OM] Om10 with shutter/exposure problem

Subject: Re: [OM] Om10 with shutter/exposure problem
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 13:02:43 -0600

Sabrina Smith wrote:

>   I noticed that the colours of film isn't quite the same.  I compared a 200
> ASA
>   and a 400 ASA from different manufacturers and one was markedly darker.  Is
>   this anything to be concerned about?

In a word, no.  The only film that gives OTF (Off The Film) systems (as well as
photo-reflectors that are now used to register film winding in later models)
difficulty is/was the instant slide film from Polaroid.

> I know that the Om10 takes exposure readings off the
> film, and when this problem first started I had a look at the trouble
> shooting bit at the back of the manual and it said that the camera would
> make longer exposures when there was no film in, because of the inside back
> being black, so I cut a small length from a film and put it inside.

The necessity of having film in an OM-10 (or OM-2/2n, OM-F, OM-G, OM-4/4T,
OM-2s, et al) is unrelated to "sticky magnet syndrome".  Without film (as the
book says), auto exposure times are unpredictably long.  But if your OM-10 has
sticky magnet syndrome, the test is to check the first shot after the camera has
set wound for a while (usually over night).  With lots of light entering the
camera (i.e., without a lens), the shutter should fire at a very high speed.  If
not (as you described earlier), the electro-magnet and armature are sticking
together due to the excessive lubrication in the shutter mechanism which has
migraged onto them.

The only truly reliable solution is to disassemble the camera, remove the magnet
and shutter mechanism, and completely flush all the excess oil from the camera.
You can get by temporarily by just swiping between the electro-magnet and
armature (be careful you don't knock the spring off the bottom end of the
electro-magnet's screw!), but the problem _will_ return -- a lesson we learned
at Olympus after doing this on the first thousand or so OM-10's that came back
when they were new!