Re: [OM] OM T10 Macro Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] OM T10 Macro Flash
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 00:21:38 -0800
Officially it's 6v, and mine draws 1.15 amps at 6v. As the lights are little incandescent 'grain of wheat' bulbs, they can burn out, so be careful if buying an AC adapter 'brick'. Cheap adapters often have a much higher open circuit voltage than their rated voltage and count on the load to draw it down. This is especially true of adapters sold with electronic equipment, where the manufacturer knows the load requirements and can provide a simple (and cheap) adapter that provides just the right voltage into the load of the specific equipment. So, for example a 6v, 1a adapter might deliver between 5.5 and 6v at about an amp into a T10 and be perfectly safe. A 6v, 3a, adapter might deliver 7v or more at 1.5+amps into the load of a T10 and burn out a light and they don't look all that fun to replace.

Better adapters with regulated outputs should be safe.

I only recently acquired my T10, so I have no practical experience with the toughness/longevity of the modeling light bulbs. I do have lots of experiecne with ac adapters and AC to DC circuits and know whereof I speak there. I also know that incandescent bulb life goes up enormously with modest decreases in driving voltage, so I'm running mine at 5.5v with very little apparent difference in brightness.

The manual is aviilable on the eSIF in .pdf form. (Thanks again for the eSIF, Hans. I buy a couple of hunderd $ of equipment with no instructions, and you put them at my fingertips.)

Moose, who may answer more than was asked.

Ian Manners wrote:

Hi all

Does anyone know what voltage the plugpack needs
to be that powers the modelling lights ?