Re: [OM] Re: Why the fondness for silvernoses?

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Why the fondness for silvernoses?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 19:41:19 +0000
At 00:55 3/1/02, Stephen wrote:
Hi Folks,

Today's discussion about silvernose lenses prompted a question I've had in my mind for quite a while.
[snip]
Is there something particular about them that
users like? Are they better in some definable way that the
multicoated lenses? How do they stack up against the
single-coated "blacknose" lenses, e.g. my 50mm f1.8?

Regards,
Stephen.

Stephen,
There is nothing inherently better about them. The "Ag Schnozz" was a lens styling for a number of years, just as chrome, black, and titanium have been popular styings for camera bodies. I like black camera bodies. My Zuiko lenses are all Schwarz Schnozz.

I do like the silver-nose M645 Mamiya Sekor lenses. The silver ring on them is not around the filter ring though, but on a beveled leading edge of the focusing ring. They are the older Sekor "C" lenses. I may break from this in another year or so to replace the silver-nose 150/4 Sekor C with a 150/2.8 N (N = New formulation). Nothing "wrong" with the older one; it's the desire for more lens speed at that length. The faster 150/2.8 was designed after introduction of the "N" lenses.

-- John