Re: [OM] Re: Why the fondness for silvernoses?

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Why the fondness for silvernoses?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 20:08:31 +0000
At 03:11 3/1/02, Ag-Schnozz wrote:
Wasn't always the case. A while back, there was a lot of trash-talking about the single-coated lenses. It was getting pretty bad. Everybody was getting their panties in a knot over whether or not their beloved lenses were multi-coated or single-coated.

I remember well one of the more recent of these. The list spun up over AR coatings like an aircraft turbine (AR = anal-retentive or anti-reflective; take your pick).

Of course, it was pure nonesense. My pictures haven't been compromised in the least by the lack of green reflections in the glass. I've sold many a picture and never had anybody say "too bad it wasn't taken with a black-nosed lens."

A number of mine have won awards over the past year and the success of not a single one of them is attributable to whether the lens was single or multi-coated. There's a lot, lot, lot more to fine lenses and making fine photographs than the AR coating(s)!!!

There have been three personal "causes" that I've run with here: The OM-2S, Silver-Nosed lenses, and Reuniting Gondwana.

AG:  Haven't heard much about Gondwana lately; is there any progress to report?

If I were to build up a kit from the ground up and money was not an object, I'd get ONLY black-nosed, multi-coated F2 lenses.

Lest someone else bring this up and accuse me of hypocrisy, I've pretty much done this over time with my Zuiko's. Two of them are single-coated and I have no plans for replacing them, nor do I anticipate ever having a desire to, thank you. Yes, they are heavily outnumbered by the other Zuiko's. *However* the only other multi-coated lens I have is the 40/2.8 Sonnar HFT on the Rollei 35. The Zeiss Ikon Contax and Mamiya M645 lenses are all single-coated. Not a problem, never have been and likely never will be. I'm far more capable at discovering methods and capitalizing on opportunities for screwing up a photograph than the lack of a coating or two on the lens ever will be.

AG-and proud of it-Schnozz

Who also has priorities about the tools he uses in proper order. MC is over-hyped and over-rated compared to the incremental improvement it makes; emphasis on incremental, especially with an excellent lens formulation.

-- John