Re: [OM] Winder II experiment RTFM

Subject: Re: [OM] Winder II experiment RTFM
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 21:59:40 +0000
At 20:14 3/3/02, I wrote:
Turns out the calculator has a problem with its conversion algorithm when minus numbers are entered for the temperature to convert from. This should be interesting; it's a TI-85 and I'll contact TI about it.

-- John

All I do now is look in a mirror and recite to myself "RTFM"

Turns out the algorithm is correct, but entry of negative numbers for the conversion routines to work properly is a little odd. Once I enclosed the minus sign with the number in parentheses "(-30)" it worked just fine and -30C -> -22F as it should. If you have a TI-85, TI-86, or one similar to this, either remember this factoid or RTFM before using it. Don't quite know why it behaves bonkers with negative numbers without "parens," but it does.

Thirty years ago I would have scratched this out on a notepad, done it by hand and never made the mistake to begin with:
  DegF = [DegC * (9/5)] + 32

The wonders of modern technology [sigh]

-- John