Re: [OM] New pic on the net

Subject: Re: [OM] New pic on the net
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 23:23:53 +0000
At 11:21 3/3/02, Brian Swale wrote:
Hello folks.

I finally got a print from my Zuiko 300 4.5 that I am content with. I have
uploaded a scan to view; it has little of the fine detail that the 6x4 print has.
Go to <   http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/photography/   >

and take the top link. More explanation on the page if you can stand it <g>.

An interesting composition and some nice subject material. Using a tripod with the 300mm is very nearly essential, but I can appreciate the necessity to work quickly around sunrise (been there, done that).

Two things stand out about the technical aspect of creating the digital image:

(1) It's a GIF. As I understand GIF images and their information content limitations, it might be better if you can use a JPEG for photographs instead (GIF's are usually line art and diagrams).

(2) If I understood your description correctly, the print you scanned is a digital made by the lab scanning the negative. Your scan of the print would make your GIF web image a digital scan of a digital scan. I suspect this may be a major part of your troubles in making a web image you're satisfied with.

If you have a loupe, look at your digital 4x6 print with it. Then use the loupe to compare to a decently sharp 4x6 that was "optically" printed from the negative. Most digital prints "fall apart" when magnified with a loupe even thought they're fine when viewed without magnfication. 4x6's printed optically from fine grain film, if they're decently sharp, escpecially high gloss finish, will not fall apart under magnification like digital prints often do. The optical prints almost always contain much more information than can be seen without magnification. A flatbed can pick up this information in a relatively hi-res scan.

Just some thoughts. BTW, the GIF has sort of a "painting" look to it; interesting.

-- John