Re: [OM] converions (was Winder II experiment RTFM)

Subject: Re: [OM] converions (was Winder II experiment RTFM)
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 08:05:17 -0800
> Thirty years ago I would have scratched this out on a notepad, done it by
> hand and never made the mistake to begin with:
>    DegF = [DegC * (9/5)] + 32

Well, living here on the border I get a mix of C and F and don't need no
stinkin' calculator or complicated formula to do the conversion :>) If
you remember a couple of facts e.g. 18F=10C, and a few data points e.g.
10C, 50F; 40C, 40F etc. then you can quickly come up with a working
conversion within a degree or two. In the example of -30C one uses the
fact that 18F=10C and the point 40C, 40F, and subtract, 40-18=22, viola!
Now if I lived in Timmons I'd probably have remembered the point -30C,
-22F, but around here I tend to use 0C, 32F thru 30C, 86F.

Mike

--
Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West