Re: [OM] CD quality & longevity

Subject: Re: [OM] CD quality & longevity
From: "Tom Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 11:38:57 -0500
( http://www.mscience.com/survey.html )
The only CDRs found problem-free were the 63 minute discs manufactured by
Mitsui Toatsu and TDK.
Manufacturing quality matters. Stick with name brands for archives.

( 1996 -
http://www.archives.state.co.us/cpa/articles/audiovisual/careofcds.htm )
    "According to conservators, such as William Nugent (see References), the
    following are the most durable CDs:
    Super CD
    Kodak Writable CD
    Kodak Photo CD
    Digipress Century Disc Gold
    Digipress Century-Disc Ark
    Digipress Century-Disc Eon "

See also links at
        http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/bytopic/electronic-records/electronic-
storage-media/#optical
Tom

On Sunday, March 03, 2002 at 16:37, ll.clark@xxxxxxxxxxx
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OM] CD quality & longevity" saying:

> In <3C820631.15864.418E41B@localhost>, on 03/03/02 at 11:17 AM,
>    "Tom Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>
> >I found a good site on CD quality for archival storage:
> >     http://www.mscience.com
>
> Did you come away with any recommendations you can live by? I looked
> over the data, but for the life of me I couldn't jot down any hints that
> would warrant I'd pick any CD that would meet specification. It appears
> that, no matter the brand or type, CD  quality is almost a turkey shoot.

> les clark / edgewater, nj / usa

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur -----------------
   ,__@ Tom A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115
 _-\_<, 758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        ICQ:57647974 N45.412 W75.714