[OM] Combining parts to make a lens (was: Puzzling Zuiko 50mm)

Subject: [OM] Combining parts to make a lens (was: Puzzling Zuiko 50mm)
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 13:19:49 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 04 Mar 2002 19:35, S B Teoh <et@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Do you have
>any (junk) for exchange? The parts could be combined to make a good one.

I've always wonder about the possiblity of combining parts from
several "junk" lenses to make a good lens.  It is just a matter
of taking parts from one and installing them in another?  Are
there any "alignment" or adjustments necessary to make the
resulting lens focus properly?  Is any special optical tool
necessary to insure the proper optical properties of the lens?
I am assuming the parts are coming from the same "generation"
50/1.8 lenses.  Thanks for any comments.