Re: [OM] Developing black&white at home 3

Subject: Re: [OM] Developing black&white at home 3
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 13:33:19 -0800
Good Heavens, another Meopta Opemus II. Haven't used mine as an enlarger in years. I rigged an adapter to use it as a copy stand and have been using it for that quite often. Your lens problem is that you need a 50mm enlarging lens to get the right coverage for common print sizes from 35mm film. Because of the relatively limited vertical travel of many enlargers, and esp. the Meopta you need the right focal length lens for your film, The 75mm lens that came with mine was for 6x6 and not all that sharp either. I have one of the great 50mm enlarging lenses, an EL Nikkor, that I would be willing to part with, if you are interested. If so, contact me off line.

Moose

Daniel J. Mitchell wrote:

2. More fiddly; the enlarger I got (Meopta Opemus II, fwiw) came with two
lenses; a 75mm, and a 35mm. Experimenting, the 75mm will project a whole 6x6
negative, but I can't get 35mm negatives to enlarge much past about 7"x9" or
so. The 35mm lens makes everything much larger, but the image circle that's
projected is noticeably smaller than a 35mm frame.

I can get around the 35mm size issue because the head on this enlarger
rotates 90 degrees, so I could pin paper to the wall and project against
that -- alternatively, I could pick up a 50mm lens, I guess.
question is:  It seems to me as if longer focal length = larger area of
coverage and smaller magnification; is this correct?