Re: [OM] Olympus Centurion S' LCD illumination

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Centurion S' LCD illumination
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 00:25:56 +0100
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 18:26:34 +0100
> From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Centurion S' LCD illumination
>
> : Everything now seem to work ok. That is, except maybe for one thing, the
> illumination
of
> : the LCD at the back. In the German manual it says that, after having
> removed the lens
cap
> : and put the camera switch in "On" position the LCD light is automatically
> activated.
Well,
> : it isn't, not on this camera. It seems the only way to illuminate the
> display (for 8
sec)
> : is by pressing the small light button below the display.
>
> This is how it is supposed to work. It doesn't automatically turn on.

Ok, thanks Hans (and thanks also for all help I've got). It's good to know
there's nothing
wrong with the camera, but I do believe the operation of the illumination is a
little
unlogical. When the power switch is rotated to the 'On' position the lens
extends and on
the LCD at the back the speed of the film, then the total number of exposures
and then the
number of exposed pictures is shown in rapid succession. It seems there is no
way though
you can activate the LCD illumination before this sequence is finished.

> : If I do this and then play with
> : the program buttons it stays on (as it should), but shouldn't also be
> activated as
soon as
> : one of the program buttons are touched (from the stand by position)?
>
> No; but once the illumination is on, it is extended when one of the buttons
(program/flash
> mode/self timer/backlit/data mode) is operated.

Yes, this seems to work ok.

> : I have a
> : Swedish manual now as well, but unfortunately it's for the black Centurion
> (it was the
> : only one they had at Olympus Sweden). Thanks in advance.
>
> My manual is also for the Black but this feature was unchanged on the S.
>

> hnz

Both my German 'Centurion S' manual and my Swedish 'Centurion' manual clearly
says in the
instructions for general photography that (page 24; here tolerably translated
to Eng):
1. Remove lens cap and put power switch in position ON. Check that the lens
extends and
that the LCD illumination is activated.
    · If nothing is done within 4.5 min the LCD illumination is put out and
turned on
again if a function is activated.

This part is why I got the idea there was something wrong with the camera.
Obviously it's
either an error in the manual, or Oly have somewhat modified the operation of
the
illumination later in the production line w/o changing the text in the manual.
I think
this is not too unrealistic if one assumes it turned out that the illumination
operation
described in the manual drained the batteries too much.

Regards,

Per Nordenberg