RE: [OM] Developing black&white at home 3

Subject: RE: [OM] Developing black&white at home 3
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 15:31:43 -0800 (PST)
> of hours in the darkroom later (I see what you mean.. I was
> rather surprised
> when I emerged and it was 2am)

Rookie!  3-4am is more like it.

> would be; once I'd burned a couple of sheets of paper getting
> the exposure
> horribly wrong

Test strips!  Take an 8x10 and cut it up into about 10-20
pieces.  Use these to get your exposure close and plan on
wasting a full size print or two to get it exactly right.
You'll NEVER get it exactly right, though...

>  1. I only actually need the room to be dark (or safelit)
> during the period
> paper-out-of-black-bag...paper done fixing? I can't see what
> else would
> 'care' about light other than that, but I may be wrong.

Nope, that's it.  Actually, depending on your chemistry, you can
turn your lights on after just a few seconds in the fixer
(provided you went through the stop-bath.  I do this regularily
without ANY ill effects.  Does require proper stop-bath
processing, though.

> that -- alternatively, I could pick up a 50mm lens, I guess.

Absolutely.  A 50mm makes life a lot easier in the darkroom.
You'll get more height, no vignetting and it tends to focus
slightly easier than the 35mm.  Typically, the 50mm lenses are
F2.8 whereas the others are F3.5.

AG-