RE: [OM] Developing black&white at home 3

Subject: RE: [OM] Developing black&white at home 3
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 17:14:09 -0700
> Rookie!  3-4am is more like it.

 heh.. I'm waiting for that until I have a roll of images that I actually
have a desired end result for, rather than just a test roll I'm fiddling
with. It's surprising how fast time passes, though, even given how much of
it I spent waiting for the timer to go beep..

> Test strips!  Take an 8x10 and cut it up into about 10-20
> pieces.  Use these to get your exposure close and plan on
> wasting a full size print or two to get it exactly right.
> You'll NEVER get it exactly right, though...

 Oh, I did this -- the very first thing I tried was an 8x10 enlargement that
I slowly uncovered in stripes, the second one I picked the time of the
stripe that looked correct.

 Then I tried to get clever and made up a single sheet with six smaller
images on it so I could play with filters. Of course, I forgot that if I
reduce the image size, the same amount of light is being concentrated into a
smaller space so it exposes a _lot_ faster.. thus the sheet'o'black
rectangles. (and it was pretty entertaining trying to find the grain in an
image that was projected to _smaller_ than the negative.) Weirdly, it seems
like the #4 filter starts to get too close to the colour of the safelight,
because all the other ones were exposed (once I'd accounted for
magnification.. then there was the one where I forgot to stop the lens down)
right, but the #4 was barely visible.  More experimentation required.

> Absolutely.  A 50mm makes life a lot easier in the darkroom.
> You'll get more height, no vignetting and it tends to focus
> slightly easier than the 35mm.  Typically, the 50mm lenses are
> F2.8 whereas the others are F3.5.

 And I'm talking off-list to someone about this already, so hopefully this
should all be covered real soon now. For the time being I can still play
with exposure and suchlike, though, which is all lots of fun.

 -- dan