Re: [OM] [OT] Looking for a good film scanning tutorial

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Looking for a good film scanning tutorial
From: "Suchismit Chakravorty" <suchismit@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 23:32:04 -0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "--p.j." <johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 8:39 PM
Subject: [OM] [OT] Looking for a good film scanning tutorial

> I'm looking for a good (online) film scanning tutorial.  Does anybody have
> some good suggestions?

  www.scantips.com has a fairly decent tutorial. Search the photo.net
archives too.

> Should I use SilverFast AI or Vuescan?

They both have good reputation. You can download their trial versions from
their sites .
I think SilverFast is more expensive though.

> When should I make prescan corrections vs. Photoshop/PaintShop Pro
> corrections?

I do all corrections after a full scan, as PS offers more precise control.
The only adjustment
I make in the prescan level is 'Analog Gain', a fancy term of Nikon
Coolscan's brightness of the
LED sources. Other than that its only curves in photoshop, followed by some
unsharp masking.
I would highly recommend Dan Margulis's masterpiece,'Photoshop 6 - The
Classic Guide to Color
Correction'. Some of the chapters are even available online, free.

> I want web quality and photo printing quality, so should I go ahead and
scan
> at max. dpi?

  There are varying opinions. Some scan at full resolution resize down.
Others scan
at only the required resolution ( ~ 72 dpi for a video monitor). I do the
former. In no
case must you resize up.

> What's the best way to archive?  CD Burner, extra drive, etc.?

 CD burner.

> I'm working on a webpage with some of my Palmyra Atoll photos, so
hopefully
> I will have something to display soon :-)

   Looking forward to it .
> Many thanks to those who reply.

   Very welcome !