Re: [OM] [OT] Looking for a good film scanning tutorial

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Looking for a good film scanning tutorial
From: Johnny Johnson <jijohnson4@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 00:36:01 -0500
At 11:39 PM 3/4/02 -0500, --p.j. wrote:

I'm looking for a good (online) film scanning tutorial.  Does anybody have
some good suggestions?

You might take a look at:

http://www.scantips.com/

Should I use SilverFast AI or Vuescan?

I prefer to use SilverFast with my SS4000 unless there's some fine detail that I'm trying to pull out of the highlights. Once you learn SilverFast your scans will require very little post processing in a photo editor. But, Vuescan, at least on my scanner, is better at capturing detail in the highlights.

When should I make prescan corrections vs. Photoshop/PaintShop Pro
corrections?

Some people say to do it at the scanning stage, some say in the photo editor, some say it doesn't matter. I personally prefer to get it as close as possible in SilverFast.

I want web quality and photo printing quality, so should I go ahead and scan
at max. dpi?

Yes

What's the best way to archive?  CD Burner, extra drive, etc.?

I'll pass on that one. I personally use CDs at the present but would like a better way - DVDs maybe?

I'm working on a webpage with some of my Palmyra Atoll photos, so hopefully
I will have something to display soon :-)

I'm sure everyone is looking forward to seeing them.  I know that I am.

Later,
Johnny