[OM] Images on line

Subject: [OM] Images on line
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 18:46:00 +1300
Hi Zuiks,

It crosses my mind that there is another resource of group images available,
and we don't hear anything about it these days. Sometimes I trip over a link
and may follow it.

That is the Olympus web-ring.

Who can tell us more about it so it can involve more who might want to add
their sites?

Secondly, it was I think John Lind who remarked on my use of a gif image for
my most recent image posting, saying that a jpeg would probably have been
better. Later I remembered why I used a GIF.

I did the colour corrections, contrast fixing (most important to restore the
detail of the actual print) and sharpening, in Adobe PhotoDeluxe. (I don't have
the HDD space to run Photoshop at the moment.)  PhotoDeluxe uses PDD
files for its in-house image alterations. So I did all that stuff on the PDD
file,
and exported a re-sized version to a gif file for storage as it is a lossless
format. Then I went back and created a jpg file for the web. It turned out that
the jpg file that gave the same quality of display as the gif file was
significantly larger. So I scrapped it and used the gif. The gif file is
already
bigger than I'd like.

Brian