RE: [OM] Re: Why the fondness for silver noses?

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: Why the fondness for silver noses?
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 01:27:34 -0700
John is right about the danger of bison. They kill or injure several people
each year in Yellowstone. There have been only a few people killed by
grizzly bears. Two years ago people were calmly watching Old Faithful erupt
when a bull bison charged down the boardwalk for no apparent reason. A
68-year-old man from Australia didn't hear all the commotion, didn't get out
of the way, and the bull hooked him in the thigh with a horn and tossed him
in the air. He lived but had an 8-inch gash in his leg and spent some time
in the hospital. People frequently stand next to a bison to have their
picture taken. One year a German and an Austrian were killed doing that, I
believe it was on the same day. I've watched people fly fishing right in the
middle of a herd of bison. The park rangers warn people about how dangerous
these critters can be but some just don't seem to care. About 40 years ago a
guy I worked with had his car tipped over by a bison.....he is still know as
"Buffalo Bob." He survived the death-march on Bataan and almost got killed
by a bison.  Best to give them some space.  /jim