Re: [OM] Polarizer question

Subject: Re: [OM] Polarizer question
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 11:31:30 -0500
Only the OM2S and up need a circular polariser, and then only for accurate
manual or spot exposure readings. It's because the semi-silvered mirror,
which lets some light through to go to the exposure meter, polarises the
light, letting more or less through, depending on the light's polarisation.
So with a linear filter at the right angle, no light would reach the meter,
and at 90 degrees to that, too much would.

Side note: Exposures through the circular polariser are actually more
accurate than with no polariser, since it removes all polarisation from the
lite coming thru, even that of the light from the scene. Try looking
through your circular polariser backwards towards a glass reflection and
rotating it - no effect!

tOM