[OM] The Forgotten and Lonely Wallflower 135's [was] Why the fondness f

Subject: [OM] The Forgotten and Lonely Wallflower 135's [was] Why the fondness for silver noses?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 00:56:41 +0000
At 01:39 3/6/02, chris waigl écrivit:
Le Tue, 05 Mar 2002 17:47:40 +0000, "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
écrivit:

Very interesting. 135mm has quite a remarkable perspective to it, and you're right, it's not often seen these days. I'd have guessed wrongly the above three shots were from a longer telephoto lens, but there's something like a hint of hesitation about just how close or far the viewer is from the subject about esp the first three pictures.

The 135mm is my "increase magnification just a little more" lens without the obvious depth compression from a 180mm or 200mm. It is there if you look for it, although some compositions do not provide much to use as clues.

In days of yore, before the Nikon F invaded from faroff shores and overtook them, when photographers of old sallied forth to tackle their subjects, one could occasionally catch a whiff of the leather covered bodies and spot the glint of light playing off of the solid brass, glass and deeply knurled, heavily chromed steel knobs on their RF's. If one, perhcance, got a closer view of the battery of lenses carefully held in reserve for the decisive moment, oft found among the longer of them were the 85mm, 135mm and 180mm reflex.

There was method in their madness with these fast primes. The diagonal of the 35mm film frame is approximately 43mm; 2X is about 85mm, 3X that roughly 135mm, and 4X created the queen of the 35mm small format rangefinder, the 180mm reflex lens. And so, for those who yet shun the ubiquitous zoom lenses that have all but diminshed their once teeming throng, we still find among them that vestige of the past in these same focal lengths today.

-- John