RE: [OM] Velvia - was: 350mm f2.8

Subject: RE: [OM] Velvia - was: 350mm f2.8
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 19:16:04 +0000
At 22:09 3/6/02, you wrote:
Velvia is a 50 speed transparency film by Fuji know for it's deep, rich
colors and striking sharpness.  I would find a nice sunny day and shoot
a roll - you might just like it!

Bob

Additional info:
Many shoot it at EI 40 to make the trannies slightly thinner, especially if they're destined for direct printing on materials such as Fuji "R" or Ilfochrome (formerly Cibachrome). I've heard of a few who use EI 32, although I think that would be just a little too thin. If you try it, make a few shots at EI 50 and EI 40 for A/B comparison.

It also has an rms diffuse granularity figure higher than Fuji's Provia 100F (lower granularity is usually considered "better"), but if you compare their resolving power and MTF curves in lp/mm it explains why many claim Velvia is "sharper" than Provia 100F; the film's contrast characteristics also influence apparent sharpness (or acuity).

-- John