RE: [OM] Velvia - was: 350mm f2.8

Subject: RE: [OM] Velvia - was: 350mm f2.8
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 01:55:21 -0800

It also has an rms diffuse granularity figure higher than Fuji's Provia 100F (lower granularity is usually considered "better"), but if you compare their resolving power and MTF curves in lp/mm it explains why many claim Velvia is "sharper" than Provia 100F; the film's contrast characteristics also influence apparent sharpness (or acuity).

-- John

That's of interest. Sometime in the past month I followed a useful link to site where A/B's were conducted using Velvia and Provia 100F. I've no interest at all in Velvia but I like what I've seen of Provia and thought of switching over to some limited work in reversals for just-after-sunset shoots around town.

Anyway, the short version is that after studying these A/B's it was fairly demonstrated (to my mind and eye, at least) that Provia 100F enjoys the higher resolving power, especially in shadows. I think Velvia tends to look like it gives better resolution that is actually the case due to the high contrast achieved thanks to super-saturation.

Frankly, I think Velvia is something of a mediocre emulsion. The best results from this film I've seen have been when the photographer (apparently) tunes the saturation _down_ in software. Then this film begins to show me something. I can do without the all-too-typical canyon and lyrical-forest shots, though.

If I stumble across that link to the A/B tests again I'll post it here.

Tris