Re: [OM]Scanner SCSI problem

Subject: Re: [OM]Scanner SCSI problem
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 04:33:37 -0600
Cc: afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Is there a Firewire to SCSI adapter that suits both scanning and storage?
Are USB adapters any good? What the hell was wrong with SCSI-2 anyway?!

There are adapters, but they won't do just what you want. USB is good, but slow. USB 2.0 is pretty fast -- as fast as SCSI-1, at least), but USB 2.0 will require you to run OS X. I don't know if you're ready to do that. I also don't know if the iBook has USB 2.0 ports (there apparently is a hardware difference, though I haven't dug deep enough to figure out what it is) and you'd have to buy USB 2.0 peripherals to get the speed boost.

As for what was wrong with SCSI, where shall I start? :-) Can't hot-swap anything. _You_ are the arbitrator in deciding what ID goes where (and don't forget that some were reserved and their order was significant). Nothing else used SCSI, really, so peripherals were expensive (though that's being turned on its head now that SCSI is falling out of favor). SCSI needs termination at each end of the chain, but the method of termination is not always consistent....

When I got my G4, I bought a SCSI card to keep my scanner, second hard drive, and CD-burner alive -- didn't want to spend several hundred more (US) dollars updating them. Only the CD-burner is still here; everything else has been replaced with non-SCSI equivalents because chaining devices was just too much of a pain in the neck. Who'da thunk it?