Re: [OM] Velvia - was: 350mm f2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Velvia - was: 350mm f2.8
From: Wayne Shumaker <shumaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 16:56:24 -0500
At 11:01 AM 3/7/2002 -0800, AG-man wrote:
>> ...tend to find Velvia unrealistic and flashy.

>Isn't film selection a big part in the visualization process? When I'm
>producing B&W prints in the darkroom, I'm not trying to achieve
>"accuracy" but tonal interpretation. I find that Velvia is the color
>equivelent to B&W. It fits my personal interpretation better than
>flat, lifeless films.

All right! let's start a my film is better than your film discussion.
(kidding) Ken got it right in my book. Film, lens, filters, light, all
affect the result one is trying to achieve. A recent trip to AZ, with
strong light, very blue sky, red rocks, high contrast, my reala film
produced much better results than provia or velvia. At home in new
england, provia works for me most of the time. A trip to St John, and
Velvia ruled for me. People subjects, landscapes, light, I hope film
choices don't disappear with the advent of digital. I like choice.

Wayne