[OM] OM Battery replacement (schottky diode)

Subject: [OM] OM Battery replacement (schottky diode)
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 21:06:48 -0500
At 12:19 AM +0000 3/8/02, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 15:54:27 -0800
>From: "William Latham" <artsword@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] OM Battery replacement
>
>Hello All
>
>I'm sure this has been posted before, but the following link has directions
>for manufacturing the Schottky diode limiter that utilizes a 357 Ag cell.
>I'm in the process of making several to sell with some rangefinders that are
>going on e*ay to finance recent Olympus purchases.  I'll let you know how it
>turns out.
>Bill Latham
>PS  The Schottky diodes were hard to get.  I finally had to go to the
>largest electronics hobby store in the area and bought out his whole
>inventory...all four.
>
>http://www.rolleiclub.nl/PX625replacement.html

Schottky signal diodes are actually quite common.  They were pioneered by
Hewlett-Packard, but now many people make them.  Digi-Key (www.digikey.com)
sells in small quantities.

There was a olympus-digest discussion some time ago on the relative merits of
germanium and schottky diodes, concluding that germanium (1N34a) was better in
the current range of OM-1 lightmeters.  This discussion happened before I
joined the olympus-digest reflector, so I don't know how that conclusion was
reached.  A summary would be interesting.

Joe Gwinn