Re: [OM] OM1-meter problems - chapter 2...

Subject: Re: [OM] OM1-meter problems - chapter 2...
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 21:16:41 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 7 Mar 2002 T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Sadly, the result is the same - almost. At 1/8s, f1.8, 100ASA, I can
> make the needle center when I point the camera directly towards a
> lightbulb. Not good ;(

If it's not the CDS cells, it could be the galvanometer (meter) itself.
If the body sustained a large enough impact, the coils in the meter can
become displaced.  Once that happens it takes a lot more force (voltage)
to move the meter needle.  If you have a spare body with a known good
galvanometer (you can never have enough spare parts bodies :-), connect the
wire from it to the circuit of one you're trying to fix (don't forget to
also ground the bodies together).  Then check the meter in the other body
and see if it's correct.  If it is, then your galvanometer is hosed and needs
to be repaired.

> Secondly (and this is a much more trivial question): the foam below the
> hotshoe plug had turned into sticky goo. Any domestic products that are
> good as replacement? ;)

Just remove the foam and leave it empty.  Thers's no need to put in new foam.
In the bodies in which Olympus didn't add foam, they put a small piece of
masking tape over the eyepiece.  I suppose you could do that if you want.
                                -mark