Re: [OM] OM1 batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] OM1 batteries
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 22:36:40 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 7:25 PM

> Remember that all batteries vary their voltage with load, age, use,
> temperature, etc.  Values given are nominal, i.e. about the average
> produced over the useful life with the load designed for within
> specified operating temperatures.
. The Wein cells
> probably do have an average voltage under the load of  camera exposure
> and over their useful life of about 1.35v.

I use the hearing aid batteries which are also 1.4 volt. They are a lot
cheaper than the wein cells, and are available everywhere. I plan it so to
take the air seal off a few days before I start using the OM1, and hope that
has allowed the voltage to drop to somewhere around 1.35v. My 'scientific'
tests have been to check a reading against my other OM's using the same lens
and same composition. I've tried it against gray card, incadescent lamp bulb
centered in the viewfinder, outdoor scenes, etc, and I've never gotten a
reading more than 1/2 stop different from my other OM's.  I can't get
consistent readings any more accurate than that anyways. Most scenes will
change 1/2 stop anyways with very small composition changes any when
metering center weighted.

> Remember that none of the numbers we use are exact. Film speed varies
> from batch to batch, with age, with temperature, with length of
> exposure. Most lenses list their speed as approximate f-stops and say
> nothing about their actual T (transmission) 'stop'. Less light gets to
> the lens from a complex lens with many elements than from a simple lens.

I noticed this the other day when trying to get enough light. I took off a
vivitar short zoom lens, and put on a Zuiko 50/1.8, and gained a full stop
of shutter speed (both at 50mm obviously, both at same f stop, same scene)

Wayne