Re: RE : [OM] F-STOP LOSES USING WIDE ANGLE FLASH ATTACHMENT

Subject: Re: RE : [OM] F-STOP LOSES USING WIDE ANGLE FLASH ATTACHMENT
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 03:54:24 +0000
At 03:48 3/8/02, you wrote:
According to Olympus, it is one stop loss.

C.H.Ling

Yes, one stop. That's why the WA panel is part of the ND filter set. It doubles as the ND 2 filter for the flash. Essentially it makes a T-20 out of a T-32.

Having used the WA panel, it will create a softer lighting, especially in a more enclosed space. The effect isn't quite as great in a large space with higher ceilings (church, reception hall, etc.) as the light dissipates into the space more. Even under those conditions it still makes a slightly larger area source of light out of the entire flash front versus the point source of the narrow flash tube and does cut harshness slightly.

For cutting flash harshness in large spaces, two methods work a little better than using the WA panel:

(a) small softbox on the front of the flash. Caution: use them in TTL/OTF auto, *not* Normal Auto. Softboxes protruding from the flash head tend to throw light directly down into the flash sensor causing gross underexposures. Not a problem with TTL/OTF, but I also recommend using a lens hood to prevent flare if the softbox extends out past the lens filter ring!

(b) Bounce reflector that attaches to the flash. The flash head is then tilted upward to shoot into the reflector which then throws the light out in front of the camera from a larger surface. A number of companies make these. Although the ones I've used don't quite soften the light as much as the softbox I use, it does eliminate the softbox problem with throwing light directly into the flash sensor.

For softer light with the T-32, I use the WA panel.
With the Metz, I use method (a) for TTL/OTF with the OM-2S and OM-4, and method (b) for Normal Auto with the OM-1n.

-- John